Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:14:45 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kenzen@oneimage.com (ken)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ok

ken stands accused of saying:
> i bought a new card , it was a lynksys, however it gave me the sam error
> msg as the last card. only the last one said no free configuration for
> IC-CARD, this one said no free configuration for LYNKSYS. i dont think
> that tells us much because they are both ne2000 compats trying to use
> ed0. but at least i know it isnt the card, well right now im putting
> linux on until i either get a new card, or some new ideas come my way ,
> im going to stay in the mailing list because im now using freebsd at
> home,

Ken, I haven't had a chance to tackle your original message properly, but
I want to at least point you in the right direction.

Your problem is that you haven't got the /etc/pccard.conf stuff
configured correctly.  NE2000 PCCARDs work; I should know, I have one
and was responsible for the last little bit of fixing the driver
required.

Unfortunately, there isn't a central register of PCCARD IDs and so forth,
and vendors tend to be a bit flaky about what they put in their cards,
so there's a little work involved.

Basically, you need to look at the two strings that are emitted by
pccardd when it is complaining about your card and create an
/etc/pccard.conf entry to match these strings.

In your case, you will be looking at something like :

card "LINKSYS" "<something>"
	config <number> "ed0" <irq> 0x10

The <number> value should be the config index in the pccard that's
marked as default, <irq> should be the IRQ you want to assign to the card,
and <something> should be the model identifier out of the CIS on the
card.

You will have to use 'pccardc -dumpcis' to get the CIS out of the card
in the first place to extract this information.  If you get stuck, send
me the output of the above command and I'll try to help you out.