Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:44:04 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        ahill@classfinder.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet PCI ethernet card

On Aug 7, Aaron Hillegass <ahill@classfinder.com> wrote:
> Being a simple-minded guy,  I search the FreeBSD questions and found
> that the PCNet ethernet card uses the lnc driver.  Thus I substituted
> lnc for de in both files:
>
>   device lnc0
>
> and
>
>   network_interfaces="lnc0 lo0"
>   ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
>   ifconfig_lnc0="inet 205.215.27.51"
>
> When I rebuild the kernel and boot the machine,  I get:
>
>   Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adaptor> rev 22
> int a irq 9 on pci0:18
>
> Two things strike me as odd: First, it says lnc1 instead of lnc0.

This is intentional! You have reserved lnc0 for an ISA card,
and PCI starts with the next unit number after those reserved
for cards on other bus types ...

> Second,  it doesn't mention its Ethernet address at all.

Hmmm, I'm not sure that the Lance driver prints the MAC address.

> The ifconfig fails because it can't find lnc0.
> So I try to manually ifconfig lnc1:
>
>   # ifconfig lnc1 inet 215.205.27.51
>   ifconfig:  interface lnc1 does not exist

That's odd. I know that the Lance driver works with PCNet/PCI
cards for other people ...

The ifconfig command looks right!

What does "ifconfig -a" print ?

> In hopes of getting more data points,  I boot the machine -c and remove
> the lnc driver.  I get the following:
>
>   Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: pci0:18:   AMD, device=0x2000,
> class=network(ethernet) int a irq 9 [no driver assigned]

You should not have to disable the ISA driver to get the PCI
card to work ...

> Then,  I went back to the man page,  and copied out the synopsis
> (changing the irq)
>
>   device lnc0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 9 drq 0 vector lncintr

The PCI attach will ignore the parameters on that line. All
it needs is the Lance driver to be compiled into the kernel.

> Rebuilding the kernel and rebooting gets me:
>
>   Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adaptor> rev 22
> int a irq 9 on pci0:18
> ..
> ..
> ..
>   Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: lnc0 not found at 0x280
>
> I hope that you can help me.

Please send a *verbose* boot message log (enter "-v" at the
"Boot: " prompt). Do not change anything else. The interface
name of the PCI card will be "lnc1".

Please do also send the output of "ifconfig -a" from a kernel
that displayed the following line:

>   Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adaptor> rev 22
> int a irq 9 on pci0:18

which looks perfectly fine ...

[Make sure there is no other device configured for IRQ 9, BTW.]

Regards, STefan