Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 21:51:18 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Jose Monteiro <jm@pluriproj.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patched sysinstall

On Fri, Oct 03, 1997 at 04:05:10PM +0000, Jose Monteiro wrote:
> No dia Tue, 30 Sep 1997 17:24:31 +0200 (MET DST), escreveu o seguinte:
>

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Where can I find a patched sysinstall? One that doesn't scramble
> >> rc.conf?
> >
> >Boot from a boot-floppy from releng22.freebsd.org, and grab it from
> >there (yes, I know it is a hassle)
>
> Yes, it is a big hassle!
>
> Does it messes with the actual rc.conf?

No, not if you do it right - you just boot the floppy, start an
emergency holographic shell, mount the HD, and copy sysinstall from
the floppy.  This doesn't mess with anything.  (You might need to use
the fixit floppy; I don't quite remember).

> This is a fully confgured services machine, i can't loose a single
> file, so, is it safe to boot from the floppy to substitute sysinstall?

Yes, as long as you follow the above instructions.

Eivind.