Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:37:52 -0500
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        abi@e-arroyo.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports package: m4-1.4.9,1.tbz

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:25:05PM -0600, abi@e-arroyo.net wrote:

> I wanted to install the following port: m4-1.4.9,1.tbz
>
> I found that this port contains a comma. This typically isn't a character
> included in package names, and suspect that something is wrong. Is this
> the appropriate list for posting such as issue?

ports@ is probably a better list.  As for the comma, that's normal for
some FreeBSD packages and comes from the value of PORTEPOCH in the ports
Makefile.  For more information on what that means please see:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html#MAKEFILE-NAMING-REVEPOCH

> As an aside, what kind of auditing and testing do ports packages undergo?
> My understanding is that the testing done on ports packages is very low.
> What are the requirements for getting added to the ports? Thanks in
> advance.

What do you mean by auditing?  Packages are built and undergo testing to
make sure they build, install, and deinstall properly.  Run-time testing
is not something that is directly exercised on all the ports though some
do get limited run-time testing (I'm thinking of FETCH_DEPENDS or other
similar things).

-- WXS