Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 15:50:23 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Robert Ricci <rricci@theonlynet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Giving users static IP adresses with pppd

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Robert Ricci wrote:

> Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > Well, the only difference I can see in your setup and mine is that you
> > use options.c00 and I use a horrible case statement to assign ip
> > addresses on the command line in a by-modem situation.
> >
> > What OS release are you using?
>
> On that machine, we have 2.1.7 - I'd love to upgrade it, but right now,

The specific user override was put into pppd by David Nugent after 2.2.2
was released.  Unless you want to merge the changes yourself, give up.  I
can probably dig the changes out for you if you like.

> looked at the "ipcp-accept-remote" option? It looks to me like it lets
> anybody insist on whatever IP they want. It doesn't sound like a good
> thing to me, but maybe it could be used for letting people use their own
> address.

Does not sound good to me, either.

> Here's some other things I can think of that might make my setup
> different from yours:
> 	1) We use mgetty, instead of plain old getty to answer modems

Irrelevant, as mgetty just answers the phone and starts login or pppd.

> 	2) In the options.ttyc0* files, each modem has its own host IP, as well
> as unique client ID. The guy who set up our cyclades cards (and has
> since left) assured me giving each modem its own host IP was necessary,
> but I haven't seen anyhting to support this claim. Could this be a
> problem?

The guy is right.  Each remote machine needs its own IP address, but they
should all use the same IP address as their gateway (the IP address of
the FreeBSD box).

> One more question - Do you have your ppp client set up to still try to
> negotiate its IP, or do you explicitly set it? (I use user-mode ppp to
> dial from my 2.2.1 system).

Negotiation is generally easier, if one end is insisting on something
specific.  If you are using usermode ppp, perhaps you could make the
static IP people use a login style connection, where they login with
username and password, and their shell starts pppd with the correct
options.  Have a look at my pppkit for an example.

Cheers,

Danny