Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 07:12:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writable /usr?

MIKE JENKINS wrote:

> Don't the /usr/share/man/catX directories belong elsewhere?
> Linux correctly puts them in /var following the File System
> Standard (FSSTND) now called the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
> (FHS) at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/.

According to that page:

"The FSSTND specified a standard filesystem structure for Linux systems"

Why should we follow Linux standards any more than we follow Windows
standards?

<$0.02 mode>

As an aside, is it just me or are the Linux-ites developing a "one true
religion" attitude?  That's interesting, given their usual denigration of
the "Windows lemmings."  Most of them, I bet, got Linux because they heard
it was (great, cool, used by friends), never looking at any other
alternatives. Does that make them "Linux lemmings?"

</$0.02 mode>