Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 11:59:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Xfree88 question

On Thu, 14 May 1998, William Woods wrote:

>I am useing the Xfree86 distributation that came with 2.2.5 and would
>like to upgrade to the latest version (3.3.2 I believe).
>
>What process would I use, are there patches avaliable to do this or a
>port patch or?????/

Actually, X11R6.4 is the latest but.... There is a bit of a licensing
issue with the new X. I am not sure that FreeBSD has mase any statement
regarding it. This is beyond the scope of the question at hand.

"FreeBSD-questions" and "questions" are the same address. It is unecessary
to send to both addresses.

Here is how I would do it. I am unsophisticated though. :)

Save all of the pertinent config files such as XSetup_0 and so forth. If
you don't even know what these are then you have never changed them. If
you never changed them, there is probably no reason to back them up. Use
your judgement.

Fetch the 3.3.2 port.
cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
make
make install

Voila, new X. Now put your config files back where you got them.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/