Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 00:35:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ignacio Gorfinkiel <igorfinkiel@gameshighway.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compatibility of Adaptec AIC7880.

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Ignacio Gorfinkiel wrote:

> We are trying to install Freebsd 2.2.5 on a PC with a Adaptec AIC 7880
> ultra-wide on board SCSI controller revision 1.26 sP7, and we are
> getting s read error after succesful install.
> Has anyone had any luck with this controller?, or can explain the read
> error?.

The driver is fine, I'm running it on my PPro200 and aside from a dodgy
disk the driver is great.

I suggest checking the following:

1.  Check termination.
2.  check termination again.
3.  Check termination just to be sure.
4.  Run `scsi -f /dev/rsd0 -m 1' and make sure AWRE and ARRE are on.
5.  Run a couple of verify passes using SCSISelect.
6.  Check termination one last time.
7.  (if you don't mind loosing everything) run a low-level format.

Only the devices on the end of the bus (the controller is usually one)
should be terminated, and your end device(s) should NOT supply power to
the SCSI bus, rather they should GET termination power from it.  Not all
devices can be tuned this way, but all hard disks I've found can be.