Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        IBS / Andre Oppermann <andre@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Cache

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:
> You better spend the money on 'real' RAM, FreeBSD does a better job
> managing cache then every caching controller because FreeBSD 'knows'
> what it needs next, the caching simply reads ahead.

For read caching this statement is true.

> > The kernel has no way of knowing that some things are already cached out
> > beyond the SCSI card, so I assume it would cache something that's already
> > cached, right?  How do you work around that?  Is there some way of telling
>
> There's only one 'workaround': disable caching in FreeBSD with the
> "sync"
> mount option.

Now you are talking about write caching which is a completly different
matter.

Write caching should be a big win as it allows more efficient use of your
drives (by reducing seeks when your data has a high locality of
reference.)

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/