Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 13:44:42 -0300 (ADT)
From:      arthur <arthur@col.auracom.com>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Malartre wrote:

> Frank Pawlak wrote:
> >
> > I have a serious question for you.  I am not sure that I have all spelling and
> > names straight.  So if some of the names and nationalities that I ask about are
> > not correct, please excuse my ignorance. You appear to be a French Canadian.  I
> > am interested in someone called Evangeline that is in some way connected to the
> > Arcadian French that settled in Canada.

> "Acadian" are not the same thing than French people in quebec. They are
> in majority in New Brunswick, Ile du Prince Edouard and Nova Scotia.
> Evangeline was a heroes because she was separated of her husband Gabriel
> for the massive acadian deportation/assimilation to France, english
> colonies(even australia) and USA. There is a town somewhere in Acadie
> where there is a church and a big Statue of Evangeline. Well, there is a
> lot of explanation on the horror of the deportation, how the english
> where so much evils ;-) The history of Evangeline is now used in songs
> and theatre. It's a myth.

  Nova Scotia's Annopolas Valley region have the Chruch, monument, and
actually a beach named after Evangeline, quite the tourist attraction
actually.

  But trying to compare Acadiens to the French Canadians that live in
Quebec would be like comparing French Canadians to the French people of
France, they both are "French" but over the years they all have changed
enough to be seen as very distictive peoples with changing cultures and
in some cases actual changes in the French language.

  Actually for those that might not know of this, here in Canada we have
both French and English as "National" languages. This could also lead to
a very volitile subject that isn't appropriate here, also it is a subject
that is on the verge of tearing the country apart, something I feel should
never happen.

arthur@col.auracom.com

In a world without fences, is there a need for gates

--end--