Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:07:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdougall@ameritech.net>
Cc:        Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USERCONFIG_BOOT option: how to?

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Adam McDougall wrote:

> Denis DeLaRoca wrote:
>
> > What are the details of using the USERCONFIG_BOOT option when configuring
> > a kernel. I can't find any documentation on it... I think it allows for
> > porgramming "boot -c" commands on /kernel.config but so far I don't seem
> > to get working that way. Am I missing some parm when specifying the option
> > in the kernel config file?
> >
> > -- Denis

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
>
>   This works for me..
> % cat /kernel.config
> USERCONFIG
> disable le0
> disable wdc1
> enable ed0
> quit

... and "USERCONFIG\n" being the crucial thing here - it's the keyword for
userconfig code that it has to look into this section of kernel.config.
When it sees this keyword, it passes the contents of all lines into
command-line engine as if they were read from keyboard. That's why it has
to end with "quit" command.

And yes, you have to include USERCONFIG_BOOT. If you use boot: -c when the
/kernel.config is present, it will first read it and set up parameters
appropriately, but then it will ignore the final "quit" command.

Andrzej Bialecki