Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:29:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system crash

On Monday,  3 August 1998 at  3:19:30 +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

Please try to format your messages in approximately equal-length lines
of about 70 to 75 characters.  It was very difficult to read this
message, and I had to reformat it.

> hello, I have installed 2.2.6 version of FreeBSD and now I am having
> a bizarre system crash situation
>
> well the symptoms are,
>
> when we are making telnet to that machine the telnet screen frozes
> and we are not able to write anything...

Does just the screen freeze, or does the system crash?

> is there a possibility that a user is using all system resources?
> with a program they are running???  if so how may I know that or how
> may I keep users from doing that???  well at least I would like to
> know which user is using how much resource...

Until I have more details, everything's possible.  How about answers
to some of these:

1.  Can you stop the telnet (either with ^] or with kill -9 from
    another window)?

2.  Does this happen only when connecting to this specific machine, or
    does it happen with others?

3.  Does rlogin work?

There are plenty more questions where those come from, but they'll do
for a start.  If you have any other comments, that would help too.

> the only bizarre messages at system log is
>
>> Aug  1 20:47:03 finland sendmail[23115]: UAA23115: SYSERR(root): collect:
>> Aug  1 21:17:45 finland tac_plus[23325]: Error 195.174.18.254
> tty88: Null

There are messages missing here.  Did you remove them, or didn't they
make it?

>> Aug  1 20:04:29 finland /kernel: pid 17271 (tintin), uid 2176: exited on signal 11
>> Aug  1 20:14:32 finland /kernel: pid 22769 (tintin), uid 2176: exited on signal 11
>
> by the way, what is signal 11?

Signal 11 is SIGSEGV.  Microsoft would say "general protection exception".

> 195.174.18.60

Sorry, what's that (yes, I know it's an IP address, but what's the
point?)

Greg