Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:47:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
Cc:        lukin@okbmei.msk.su, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: ldap-3.3

> I would like to discuss with you the possibility of
> updating your LDAP port to OpenLDAP 1.0.  OpenLDAP 1.0
> is derived from Umich 3.3 and offers numerous
> enhancements and bug fixes.  OpenLDAP should run
> "out of the box" on recent versions of FreeBSD (some
> components require threads support).  We are quite
> willing to incorporate changes in the distribution
> as you might recommend to improve FreeBSD support.
>
> Information about OpenLDAP is availabe at:
>      http://www.OpenLDAP.org/
>
> We would be willing to assist you in updating this
> port.  If necessary, we would be willing to develop
> the port ourselves.  However, we would prefer to work
> with an experienced maintainer.

I agree that we should have an OpenLDAP port; but I think
it should be separate from the existing ldap-3.3 port.  If
we call the new one openldap, or open-ldap, we should probably
rename the old one to umich-ldap.  OTOH, it might be nice to
keep them together in the directory listing; which would lead
to ldap-open and ldap-umich.

-Pat