Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 05:17:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Bird <novice_98@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: installation problem!

On 25-Oct-98 Bird wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem during installation.
> I am trying to install the FreeBSD version 2.2.6, but I don't know why
> it seems stopped & the screen just shows the "probing device, pls
> wait...". I have waited half an hr, it is still probing the device .....
> Any suggestion?

There should be an indication of what device it's trying to probe when the hang
occurs.  Reboot and select the option to modify the kernel configuration before
continuing.  This will place you in the kernel configuration editor.  Type "v"
to get the visual editor (easier to use), find the device that's causing the
hang and disable it.  Then continue with the boot process.

--
Conrad Sabatier

It's a very *____UN*lucky week in which to be took dead.
                -- Churchy La Femme