Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 22:37:18 +0200
From:      Frank Louwers <frank@student.rug.ac.be>
To:        oli <olner@gmx.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Used Laptop

> Freebsd is running fine already on 5.1M disk, except sound. ;)

There is a trick to getting the sound working, but it sucks (kind of)
At least, this worked on my TP760CD, which (if I am not mistaken) has
the same mwave thing as your 770.

- boot into dos, but don't load ANY device driver, except the dos/win
mwave ones. Don't load himem or xms386 or any other memory device
driver!! Now type 'mwave start'. This should load your soundsystem in
sound blaster compatible mode. Now reboot, but not the normal way, the
so called 'Int 19' way. Look for a dos utility that does a int-19
reboot, or write a little debug script yourself. The only thing it
should do is call an int 19.

- Boot fbsd and you have sb sound...

The problem starts when you suspend/resume the machine: sound gone :-(

Frank