Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 00:37:03 +0100
From:      "H. Eckert" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosts.allow and deny!

Quoting Mike Tancsa (mike@sentex.net):
> Then in /usr/local/etc/hosts.deny
> ALL:ALL
> In /usr/local/etc/hosts.allow
> goodhost.com

I seem to remember that tcp_wrapper was configured slightly
different but the manpage didn't reflect the change for the
newer version.
I didn't succeed at all with a hosts.deny but see my hosts.allow
below for my configuratiion.

I use it in combination with a firewalling rule:
ipfw add 2200 reset tcp from any to <my-ip> pop3 setup via ipi0

The result is that I can run qpopper on my machine without having
to worry about exploits.  It can be acessed from machines inside my
local net but not from outside and the machines in the inner net are
able to pop3 to foreign servers, too.  (The "ipi0" in the rule is my
outside interface, a dialup isdn link)

====8<==== /usr/local/etc/hosts.allow ====
# Wed Oct  7 03:00:00 CEST 1998
popper	: LOCAL 10.175.		:	allow
popper	: ALL	:	deny
ALL	: ALL

Greetings,
				Ripley
--
H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.