Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:03:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Kurt Seel <kseel@utcorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sd device numbering

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Kurt Seel wrote:
>  Is there some config file magic to lock an sd dev to a scsi id? i.e.
> scsi 0 -> sd0
> scsi1 -> sd1
> scsi2 -> sd2
>  So that if I pull scsi 1 out, it looks like this :
> scsi 0 -> sd0
> scsi 2 -> sd2
>  sd1 'disappears' and my fstab remains valid for all the other drives.

You can wire your SCSI devices down.  Check LINT for details.

I'd really love to see something like Solaris has hung off of DEVFS that
would automagically present devices in the form of

/dev/dsk/busX/targY/lunZ/...

But that ends up being too long which leads me to think that assign a
'name' to the device and presenting it under /dev/dsk/{name} would be the
way to go.

But that would imply both DEVFS and SLICE which doesn't seem all that
likely at this point.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |