Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:43:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: have live system with NFS client cache problems what do i do?

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > Hey, i was just doing a kernel compile over NFS and i have a weird
> > situtation.  After compiling everything the linker barfs on linking.
> >
> > gensetdefs: cd9660_bmap.o: not an ELF file
> >
> > for about 12 files...
> >
> > the compile is being done on a laptop that has my desktop's src dir
> > NFS mounted.
> >
> Hey I have pretty the same problems on my 4.0 cvsup'ed and builded few
> days ago!
>
> As NFS server I have 3.1-stable box.

Let's try to figure out some other commonalities to assist debugging this.
can you please fill this in:

                   Me                              You
Server version 4.0-apr6th                       3.1- ???
 Netcard       pn0                                 ??
 local disk    da
 options       softupdates
 nfsd?         yes
 ram           32meg

Client version 4.0-apr9th                       4.0- ???
 Netcard       ep0 3comIII pcmcia
 local disk    wd
 options       softupdates
 nfsiod        don't think so
 ram           48meg

Mount type:    mount server:/usr/src
                /usr/src

how bug        build kernel in
happened:      NFS mounted /usr/src
               make depend && make -j6 all

bug:           client sees files are filled
               with zeros, but server has
               non-corrupted files

               will not link on client
               links fine on server
               if the files are copied from
               the NFS mount to local disk
               they "un-corrupt" themselves.

well?  I'm tempted to blame the 3com, but that doesn't make sense
as when you copy to local disk the files seem to become normal again...

-Alfred