Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:59:17 -0400
From:      "Brian" <ircd@wrath.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Digital Subscriber Lines

----- Original Message -----
From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To: "Brian" <ircd@wrath.com>
Cc: <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 2:40 PM

> In message <00d801c0f36e$5727c470$0201a8c0@fear.wrath.net>, "Brian"
writes:
> >I thought I'd ask here before I wandered the web finding every piece of
> >information but what I want.
> >
> >How many conductors does DSL use?  Telephones only use two, is this the
case
> >with DSL as well?
>
> Yes.
>
> DSL is supposed to run on the already installed phone connection.

I was just curious, because I saw DSL installed at a house once.  They ran a
wire through the crawlspace and put a new RJ12 wallplate on the wall (There
was already a RJ12 wallplate about four feet away) and then used some kind
of goofy converter to hook up the DSL modem.  I couldn't get in behind the
rat's nest of wires to see what this contraption consisted of and the wire
on the outside of the house was in conduit.  I thought it was rather
peculiar because this house was only around ten years old and had RJ12 run
throughout.

Thanks for your prompt response
-Brian