Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:52:57 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Andrew <mynet@uq.net.au>, Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using one FreeBSD box as router/firewall/vpn

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 12:43:08AM +1000, Andrew wrote:
> Some people would say OpenBSD is more secure - But that
> is another argument alltogther and it all come down to how
> people setup their systems.
>
> A novel idea though that I have seen done is burning
> the whole OS to a bootable CD-rom.

not so novel now that good scsi cdrom players are so cheap ..
16x nec are only $AUD190.

i've been thinking about putting in a cdrom and a ls120 drive
as my only removable media .. well ok and a dlt tape streamer.

wonder if it would be possible to make a ls120 diskette
bootable ? sorry i'm not a systems programmer or a hardware
(chip level) guru any more .. i was with motorola mc6800's but
more recently (grin) mc68b09e

> The great thing is you have no danger of the HD crashing
> and even if someone finds a way in theres not a much they
> can do that a reboot wont fix ;)

same for a self-contained ls120 diskette .. wonder of teh scsi
version has been released yet, they were going to do a scsi
version a few years ago.

> You would need to update the CD as important
> bugfixes/new releases came out but blank CD's are cheap.

or if you used a rewritable cd-media. or even a bootable tape,
just load teh tape into the drive and punch restart button.

another thought .. with cisco routers coming down in price and
intel hardware geting cheaper (and by definition shoddier) is
thier a point on the graph were it makes sence to use a cisco,
or some sort of 'real router', especially now that so amny
'boutique' suppliers are bringing out dedicated hardware
solutions ? cobalt and teh like, i mean. with the technology
packing ever more functionality into those little black boxes
that keep all the magic grey smoke in them, its just a matter
of time before your toaster oven will be able to ask you at
work when you want your grilled cheese and tomato ready, grin.

i thnk t would be real neat to have a say ls120, or a cdrom, or
a tape bootable system .. as a bastion hoast/router/gateway
solution that uses and therefore showcases freebsd. but given
some of teh technicals only a company like say whistle, inc. is
going to be able to market such a device .. if thier is a
market outside off a few diehards like freebsd hackers.

from teh utiliity vantage point it is a real winner as well,
only if i were still 25 and had full use of my faculties, sigh,
thats life i suppose. sorry i've started to ramble .. its cold,
raining, wet, miserable and i'm hurting badly.

regards and thx fro teh neat suggestion.

cheers

jonathan