Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:39:27 +0000
From:      Greg Eden <greg@wholemeal.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rescuing mangled RAID5 array

Hello again,

On 14 Nov 2006, at 18:30, Greg Eden wrote:

> I'm trying to recover data from a broken RAID5 array (drive removed
> whilst array was rebuilding!).
>
> [snip]

> I'm trying
>
> dd if=/dev/da1s1d of=/raid2/rescueimage

I'm trying not to equate lack of response to lack of chance of
receovery! However...

After 4 days dd eventually successfully created a 1.5TB image file of
the trashed partition, so i can work on it without causing further
damage. I successfully attached it with mdconfig. Running fsck_ufs on
the resultant /dev/md0 causes fsck_ufs to eventually crash out with:

UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=42151497
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CLEAR? yes

fsck_ufs: bad inode number 42158080 to nextinode

during Phase 1. Is there anyway to get around this so fsck can continue?

Thanks in advance.

Greg.