Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 16:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> >         Testing after the dust has settled and while it is in use is
> > different since conditions do change.  The testers only tests for
> > continuity, not the impedance or any other electrical properties of the
> > cable.
>
> The decent testers (such as a professional cable installing friend of mine
> uses) do a full range of tests, at both 10Mbs and 100Mbs speed, including
> cross talk, attenuation + a host of other things. The customers gets a
> certificate _per_ connection, listing all the details... The decent testers
> use proper TDR techniques to do a full range of testing, more than just "The
> wires conduct, and their in the right order at both ends" :-)

	Heh, must be one of those $4000 Fluke testers or something.  I
mean cables should be tested prior to installing but you don't actually
know the characteristics while the cable is in real use is what I'm
saying. :-)

> > > Fastest I've seen on my setup (doing anything useful) is around 9Mb/sec going
> > > from my WinNT box (with Intel Pro 100B) to my FreeBSD -current box (also with
> > > Pro 100B).
> >
> >         Hmmm, how large of a file do you have to transfer to see the max
> > speed?
>
> Typically around 2Gb's... I do a lot of DVR work, so I always have large files
> kicking around :-)

	I could use one of those... =)

> >         What about from FreeBSD to FreeBSD? =)
>
> Don't have two boxes to test from... I've toyed with replacing my current NT
> install with FreeBSD, I guess I just love Delphi too much :-) [hence need
> Win32 :)] + The company database runs only under Win32 so far...

	Heh.  Wouldn't it be nice if Delphi was available for FreeBSD or
binary compable with something FreeBSD emulates? :-)

> This is getting off-topic for -hackers - if you want to chat we should either
> move it somewhere more appropriate - or personal replies only :-)

	That's a good idea... That's why it's been moved to -chat in this
reply =)

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]