Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:28:08 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        eT <eT@post.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Hackers FreeBSD <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing Interface IP address

> Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > > I would like to change the IP address (netmask, gateway etc.) of an Interface
> > > (eg. fxp0) from within my C source code.
> > >
> > > 1. Is this possible to do without the SIOC ioctl call? (i am already in the
> > > kernel).
> >
> > Make the call from within the kernel.
>
> But I was under the impression that I can't do ioctl calls in the kernel?  Which call
> should I then make from within the kernel?

The current BSD kernel architecture does not well handle ABI calls from
within kernel space, no.  You will probably have to duplicate the code
that handles the SIOC[AD]IFADDR in netinet/in.c in your module.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org