Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:26:12 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>, Kenneth Karlsson <kak@bitnisse.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, rmartine@infosel.com.mx
Subject:   Re: Sv: small isp

On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 at 03:29:27PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> This document: http://www.interlinkweb.com/~main/isp-faq-list.htm
> is a good place to start reading. Also, I would recommend getting
> Greg Lehey's "Complete FreeBSD" book if you don't already have a
> copy and are new to the OS.

'the complete freebsd' might be ok to a not so wet behind teh
ears beginner, but it doesnt cover a whole swag of areas that
need looking at. please note, i'm not disparaging greg or the
book, both are quite good fro what they are .. it is just that
the book is (as are most in this field are) poorly written and
very hard going unless you really understand the topic at hand.

its going to be a while before we get some of teh good
professional technical writers starting to see the value in
putting thier names to texts soley dealing with linux and
freebsd, anybsd or even for that matter a wider less technical
approach to main stream unix in general.

till then these two from teh o'rielly stable will be more
helpfull than a truckload of people offer good albeit misguide
homespun homily style advice. good as anscdotal advice is, but
needs to be taken with much care and concideration. anyway here
they are are ...

managing internet information services
-liu, peek, jones, buus & nye
-isbn 1-56592-062-7

getting connected: the internet at 65k and up
-dowd
-isbn 1-56592-203-4

and to get a good apraisal of what kind of services your
customer are likely to expect take a look at (its an o'rielly
as well) ...

the whole internet, users guide and catalog - second edition
-kroll
-isbn 1-56592-063-5

between these three you will find out how much you do or don't
know or understand, using this as a springboard it is possible
to reference most of the other books in teh o'rielly catalog
and to understand thier value and when in the overal stream of
things they will be important to you.

planing is the most important thing, you need to plan
(carefully) otherwise your internet adventure will become a
blackhole sucking more and more money.

take it easy and be guided by people who offer sensible advice.
only purchase industry standard hardware ... cheap (junky, home
style ergo mass market) hardware will break you. i've seen to
many startups fold because of their save money hardware
'planing'.

running an internet services provisioner is a hard job
requiring long hours, its not as glamorous as it is portrated
on teh tv. take care.

please excuse my typing/spelling, my hands are not working as
well as they shoudl be and the pain is increasing exponentially
so i'd better call it quits ... if you need further
clarification, well the headers speak volumes.

warm regards

jonathan