Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:56:17 -0400
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        "Richard Puga" <puga@maui.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WaveLAN IEEE device timeout

I use the WaveLAN ISA/IEEE card in FreeBSD systems without problems (4 of
them so far).  I had to use cvsup to get Bill Paul's driver installed as
part of 3.2-stable.  The driver seems to be very stable and so far we have
not had any lockups or other mis-operations (about 2 months).  Not as good a
record for the WaveLAN/EC converters.  They appear to be a little sensitive
and currently do not support raw bit rates above 2Mb/s although the Turbo
cards work OK at that rate in them.  Best data rates are obtained from an
ISA/IEEE card in a fbsd box to a fbsd box connected to the Ethernet port of
WavePOINT II access controller, both using Turbo cards.  The WaveLAN fbsd is
plain vanilla and works OK with natd and ipfw on the wi0 interface.  Can't
use the SKIP port with the wi0 interface due to some sort of interaction
that I was never able to figure out.  Doing both point-to-point and
point-to-multipoint over distances to 2.1 miles.  No dropouts.

I would suggest you try -stable.  It's worth the effort and the standard
LINT kernel entries and rc.conf setup stuff is about all you need.  Even
supports hot card swapping.