Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        dmp@aracnet.com
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Layer 2 ethernet encryption?

[Charset UTF-8 unsupported, skipping...]
[pulled contect from save of message...]

> "Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> > > dmp@aracnet.com wrote in message ID
> > >
> > > How would you route the traffic?  No routers would be able to pass the
> > > traffic.
> >
> > No, only routers knowing the key would be able to route traffic.
>
> In my idea, only the machine to which the packet is being sent would
> have the decryption key.  If the router had the decryption key, it
> would mean that it would have to be programmable for it to load the
> right decryption key.

Usually one key per interface, not a big deal, and required for what
I was discussing since this even encrypts the MAC address.

> That opens a security hole in which a DoS
> could be executed by corrupting the router's keys.  The router's key
> cache would also have to be retrivable, making it possible to steal
> the keys from the router.

You can't corrupt the router key unless you know the key, it won't
hear you unless your data is properly encrypted.  Remeber this is
layer 1 encryption, so you have to know the key to encrypt the MAC
to get the router to even listen to you.

You can steal ``physcially'' steal the keys from the router itself,
but then we would have to post armed gards as others mentioned to
stop physical access attacks.

> A hardcoded decryption key is the only answer.  Not completely
> secure in and of itself, but to compromise it would require a
> physical effort, not just an electronic/software one.

See above...

> > > If you are doing this for a local LAN, I suggest you have bigger
> > > problems :)
> >
> > Maybe the LAN is ``wireless'' :-).   But more seriously the Wavelan
> > and several other wireless cards do DES encryption at layer 1... so
> > it _can_ be done.  And more importantly is being done (first hand
> > knowledge on that one).
>
> It's a wired LAN.  UTP.  Layer 1 encryption wouldn't work unless all
> devices on the LAN had the same key pair.  Great for preventing
> unauthorized use of the network, but it doesn't do a thing to prevent
> sniffing by an authorized machine.  Unauthorized use of the network
> isn't an issue, but sniffable traffic is.

Hummm... defantitly a different problem than we are solving... and defanitly
different than the wireless problem we did solve.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net