Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 17:22:46 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Targeting the server: Not such a good idea?

At 03:36 PM 10/8/99 -0700, Doug wrote:

>         Before we start yet another "Brett Glass Vaporware, Inc." thread,
>please at least be honest about what's happening, and stop trying to
>paint Jordan as the bad guy here.

I'm not painting Jordan as a "bad guy." I know he's busy. I talked to
him by telephone last week, though, and he said to send a written
request. So, I did -- and we're hoping for a quick response! We do
need to get permission to use the mark in the product name before
proceeding.

>The decision is not Jordan's alone,
>and the name is not the only thing holding your alleged project up.

Actually, the project isn't being "held up" by this.... Yet. But
at some point it will move to the critical path.

>If it is, your lack of sufficiently astute legal counsel has already doomed
>your efforts before you start.

We have a good lawyer, but it doesn't take particularly astute legal
counsel to know that we need permission.

>         Personally I hope that no one grants you the right to use the name
>FreeBSD.

I'm sorry to hear that. Why would you begrudge us the use of the name? Our
hope is to help the FreeBSD Project and expand FreeBSD's user base. We want
the name so as to identify with the group and to give proper credit. Yes,
we could use something totally different -- but this would hurt all
concerned.

>At the same time if you can manage to make a commercially
>successful desktop environment based on freebsd code I say more power to
>you. I think that there _is_ a desktop market for freebsd, and I think
>Terry made some good points in his comments.

Well, good! I hope that I can convince you that what we produce is
worthy of the FreeBSD name. Our plans are to include the FreeBSD CD exactly
as the Project generates it, with all of our additions on one or more
separate CDs. So, it would follow the precedent set by Walnut Creek's
"FreeBSD Power Pack" -- and should be every bit as worthy of using the
name. We won't ship it if it isn't.

--Brett Glass