Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 1999 07:46:57 -0700
From:      Raoul Simpson <raoul@sirius.com>
To:        flec@flec.co.uk (Steven Fletcher)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto?

Hi,
Thanks for your response!

Recapping my problem (it's been a few days since I first wrote), ppp -ddial
dials immediately when invoked, even if no machines are making any tcp/ip
requests.

 > Have you got any machines running any IP services at all, eg, doing DN
>Sreuqests, perhaps ICQ on one of the client machines? If they're windows
>boxen, they seem to be unbelivably sloppy with the sheer amount of
>useless information that tries to get out of your default gateway.

No, I made sure my machines were running nothing at all but the OS & I
still had the same problem. Then I turned the machines off altogether,  and
the problem still persisted, so I'm pretty sure it's on the FreeBSD side,
but I haven't a clue as to what it could be. I am not running a nameserver.
The machine runs apache & sendmail, but I killed those when testing the ppp
-ddial last night, but no joy.

>I'd suggest adding "TCP/IP" to your "set log" line, assuming ppp has
>been setup in /etc/syslogd.conf then the src IP:port, and dst IP:port
>data are all logged in /var/log/ppp.log.

Gosh I feel foolish, but after reading the docs, I couldn't figure out how
to make the TCP/IP logging work. Can you send an example syslogd.conf?

>Once you've found out what's causing the dialup, you'll need to read up
>on ppp's access filters, where you can specify what packets are allowed
>to trigger a dial, what won't trigger a dialup ... what packets can keep
>the connection alive, etc etc.
>
>It takes some time to get a filter list personalised for your home lan,
>you've just got to look at what you want things to dial. The biggest
>dialup trigger is probably DNS requests though.
>
>-flec
Thanks!
rs