Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:49:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        marcel@scc.nl (Marcel Moolenaar)
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

> > If you make a change (like the signal changes)
> > that isn't backward compatible, then you can't bootstrap properly
> > because you can't execute what you build.
>
> You said a couple of lines above:
>
> \begin{quote}
> > Because when cross-compiling, you don't execute anything that you
> > build for the target system.
> \end{quote}
>
> I don't have anything to add to that :-)

You can't cross-compile a newer version for the same architecture
on an older version.

For one thing, this is not cross-compilation.

For another, given the compiler changes, the fact that when you
set DESTDIR you (inappropriately) override a number of definitions,
including the include and library paths, such that it's not
possible to use the new compiler on an older system in order to do
a "make world".

I first discovered this trying to use gcc2.93 quite a while ago,
and the problem with the build system remains uncorrected.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.