Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 09:27:45 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIWA DDS-2 drives?

Mike Tancsa writes:
> On 11 Nov 1999 18:09:47 -0500, ken@plutotech.com ("Kenneth D. Merry")
> wrote:
>
> >David Kelly wrote...
> >> Have found some Aiwa GD-80001HC drives for cheap and wondered if anyone
> >> has used one under FreeBSD yet? `grep -i aiwa /usr/src/cam` didn't turn
> >> up anything. So presumably if something is known about this model its
> >> not bad but that doesn't say if anything good is known either.
> >
> >From the web page (http://www.aiwa.com/csd/product/dds2mn.htm), it looks
> >like just another DDS-2 drive.
> >
> >My guess is that they probably just OEM someone else's drive mechanism, but
> >who knows.  It should function fine, but of course you never know until
> >someone tries it.
>
> I dont know about the model above, but the one I got at onsale.com seems to
> work OK...
>
> sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> sa0: <AIWA GD-8000 0119> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
> sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 7)
>
> DUMP: finished in 48 seconds, throughput 434 KBytes/sec

Goody! Goody! I've got two coming! And a little ashamed that I was too
greedy to mention the source to my friends here until after I secured
my quota.  :-(

Anyhow, they have another lot for sale at the moment but appear to have
pulled their "quick buy" page which offered the drive for $96 without
the uncertainty of bidding. FYI: $79 was good enough in Friday's
auction.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net