Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:10:53 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        "Scott A. Moberly" <smoberly@karamazov.org>
Cc:        <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>, <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS mounting the ports tree.

Scott A. Moberly writes:
 > [...]
 > > George originally wrote:
 > >
 > >   1) I found the section of the freebsd handbook that explains how to
 > >      set up the distfiles directory and the workdirectory.  This
 > >      still seems to require that the client actually build the thing,
 > > which is what I'm trying to avoid.
 > >      (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.html)
 >
 > You can do it, but...  /etc/make.conf would have to be generic, use
 > includes based on hostname(1) or manually (script) move
 > /etc/make.`hostname` around...

I'm happy having make.conf be generic, I don't *think* that's the
cause of my difficulties.

 > >   2) I've tried just mounting /usr/ports, cd'ing into the directory of
 > >      interest, and doing a "make install".  This fails quickly, since
 > > the INSTALLCOOKIE is there.
 > >
 > >      Doing a "make deinstall" then a "make install" works for simple
 > > ports, but sometimes causes recompilation.
 >
 > make clean is a quicker alternative

Doesn't a make clean remove all of the stuff that's built?  How is
that quicker than installing what the big beefy machine has already
compiled?

 > [...]
 > have /var/db/pkg a temporary mount for building installing.

Again, I'm confused.  I'm hoping to avoid all of the recompiles?

 > [...]
 > I personally just mount and let the client build after I have tested and
 > reviewed said port.

In my case, my laptop would spend the weekend rebuilding gnome,
evolution, X, perl, etc....  Yikes.

 > Hope this helps.

I appreciate the effort, but I still don't have a good way to use my
fancy fast cpu to use build stuff from ports for my itty bitty
slow-witted machines (I wonder if it's reading this as I type...).

g.