Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 21:13:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Alexander Bezroutchko <abb@zenon.net>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IFT3102 and FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE troubles

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Alexander Bezroutchko wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> >   Well, I'm testing a single IFT-3102U2G on a dual-PIII under 3.4 stable.
> > I'm assuming that the take-over by the redundant controller is similar
> > in appearance to the host, as resetting a controller.
>
> Yes, but take-over takes 4 sec, and resetting takes about 1 minute.

  Well, when doing a controller reset via the terminal interface, I find
the controller is back up in about 20 to 30 seconds.  Longer if it needs
to verify dirty buffers.

> Unfortunately, I have never seen correct behaviour of FreeBSD after
> controller reset occured during any activity on filesystem mounted from IFT.

  I've done this a few times, and it just works.  I've had a few silent
hangs, but these very unusual.  For instance, once when upgrading firmware
during activity, FreeBSD never recovered and never printed any errors.  I
wouldn't recomend upgrading controller firmware on active system anyway.

  I find the "invalidating pack" messages that you get interesting.  I've
never seen them before.  It is almost as if the IFT is telling FreeBSD
that the disk no longer exists.

> I have seen about 20 messages related to IFT scsi-to-scsi controllers in
> this list. Did anybody investigate behaviour of FreeBSD during controller
> take-over and reset ?
>
> SY,
> Alexander Bezroutchko

Tom