Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:31:58 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        David Heller <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network configuration question

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 09:09:07PM +0000, David Heller wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have the following scenario:
>
> Local2<---->Local1<--->cable_modem<--->outsideworld
> Local3---^
>
> Local2  and Local3 are machines on my local network. Local1 is the
> gateway for Local2/Local3 to get to the outside world Local2 is setup
> correctly doing "netstat -nr" shows default is 10.0.0.1 same with
> Local3. Local1 ip address is 10.0.0.1 Firewall  is setup  on Local1 type
> "open"
> and natd enabled also. However Local2 can't connect (telnet ftp www
> don't work) to any other machine except Local3 (10.0.0.3). Local1 can
> connect(www telnet and ftp) to Local3 and Local2 .  Find enclosed
> natd.cf and rc.conf   What am I missing here? is this a natd problem or
> something else?
> I have looked at the man pages but the man pages are written for an
> expert, I am rather new to networking.

Manpages written for expert? I dunno about that. But let's have a look
at your natd configuration,

> redirect_address	10.0.0.3     0.0.0.0
> redirect_address	10.0.0.2     0.0.0.0
> redirect_address	10.0.0.1     0.0.0.0

Hmmm... Is that really what you mean to do? All incoming connections
are being redirected to 10.0.0.1 which is the natd machine
itself... so why bother?

> # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> # please make all changes to this file.
>
> network_interfaces="ep1 lo0  ep0"
> defaultrouter="NO"
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> pccard_ifconfig="NO"
> pccard_mem="DEFAULT"
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> moused_enable="NO"
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> linux_enable="YES"
> hostname="main.hellerkin.local"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="open"
> dhcp_flags="-q"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="ep0"
> natd_flags="-dynamic -f /etc/natd.cf"
> lpd_enable="YES"
> named_enable="YES"
> #rarpd_enable="YES"
> #rarpd_flags="-a -s"
> #nfs_server_enable="YES"
> #mountd_flags="-r"
> named_flags="-b /etc/named.conf"
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> releaseName="3.3-19991005-STABLE"
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> usbd_enable="YES"

Now here, I do not see you ever assigning your interfaces any IP
addresses. You also set no default router, so your packets don't know
how to get to the Internet.