Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 15:54:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-2-60.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        tms2@mail.ptd.net (Thomas M. Sommers)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and"dangers to BSD"]

In reply:
> Mark Spiegel wrote:
> >
> >         Gates?!?!?  that paper shuffler was hiding in his tent when
> >         the battle took place.  Benedict Arnold, the later infamous
> >         traitor, became famous for leading the colonists to victory
> >         at Saratoga.
> >
> >         And the troops he led were overwhelmingly MILITIA.
> >
> >         Washington explicitly called for the militia to turn back
> >         Bourgoyne because he couldn't spare more than the corps of
> >         sharpshooters he did send.  These few and whatever stragglers
> >         there were from the loss of Fort Ticonderoga were the only
> >         army regulars.
>
> Can you point me to a good OB for the battle? The sources I checked are
> pretty vague, but suggest that the militia was in the minority. The
> sources could be wrong, or I could be misinterpreting them.

Ever read Federalist #26, how about #85?  18 USC Sec. 2384, 2385...?

This discussion has no bearing to freebsd, please take it to
alt.conspiracy, alt.lets.overthrow.the.government, or some other
appropriate venue [for those that know what a militia really is, try
alt.history].

There's my two cents.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or