Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup server loads (was: Stable broken)

In article <3977334E.AE1F303F@urx.com>, Kent Stewart
<kstewart@urx.com> wrote:

> That is where I finally got my cvsup update from. I thought cvsup8
> was much slower than cvsup7 and then I found later that it wasn't
> very fast on either site.

If you think this is bad then you weren't around in the days when we
used sup. :-)

Tagging makes everybody's updates take longer, and as a result the
server's client counts go up.  CVSup7 has a limit of 20, and I can
tell you that machine is breathing pretty hard.  But it seems to be
performing quite well given the load.  This is the first time I've
ever seen it max out.

Other than the increased load because of the number of clients, the
bottleneck usually isn't in the server when the tree is tagged.  The
bottleneck is almost always your hard drive in that case, since it has
to edit every file in your repository, write the edited version to a
temp file, check the MD5 signature, and then move the temp file to the
right place again.

John