Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:42:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: allowing pings out from my firewall

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Sam Carleton wrote:

> ping: sendto: Permission denied
>
> After thinking about this for a moment, I realized that I believe this to
> be a firewall issue.  I have the "simply" firewall running on this machine
> and I think it is the firewall that is stopping ping from going out.  How
> do I modify the firewall to allow pings  and traceroute to get out?

I too am  running ipfw in 'simple' mode. To allow ping, I added the line
'$fwcmd add pass icmp from any to any' (sans quotes of course) to
/etc/rc.firewall. Works.

OTOH, traceroute still doesn't work for me. It's not that big a deal for
me right now, but I'd like to make it work on GPs.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape