Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:58:10 -0800
From:      Gord Broom <Gordon.Broom@home.com>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, Brad Tombaugh <btombau@qwest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems Making Ports

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
> Brad Tombaugh wrote:
> >=20
> > Several people, including me, have posted articles to
> > comp.unix.bsd.frebsd.misc regarding problems making ports after updat=
ing
> > to RELENG_4 (4.2-STABLE).
> >=20
> > The first symptom that I saw after "making world" was that when I
> > attempted to "make" or "make install" any of several ports I got an
> > error:
> >=20
> >      orion# cd /usr/ports/textproc/docproj
> >      orion# make
> >      Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to
> >      match this bsd.port.mk.
> >=20
> > checking /urs/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk shows several instances of this or
> > similar messages, generally near a declaration for "pre-everything::"
> >=20

> If you had read /usr/src/UPDATING then you would of seen that after
> an upgrade to 4.2 you are required to cvsup your whole ports tree since
> changes were made to the base port structure...
> Reading the UPDATING file properly solves almost all upgrading problems=
=2E..
>=20

Also, you may have to delete empty directories in each of the individual =
ports
(which cvsup left behind, as I've seen CVS do), which confuse both bsd.po=
rt.mk
and users.

I thought I had written down which directories they were, but hunt around=
 in
bsd.ports.mk for the specific error it gives you, and it'll point you the=
re.  I
know one of them was 'patches/', I can't remember the second.

Gord.