Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:14:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Bloom <bloom@acm.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic from Yesterday's CVSup

On 06-Feb-01 Jim Bloom wrote:
> Which kernel do you want me to try this with?  I have tried two
> different kernels with two different errors.  (Both have been sent at
> different times in the past couple days.)  The registers listed here
> from the second kernel (with WITNESS, INVARIANTS, INVARIANT_SUPPORT,
> MUTEX_DEBUG).  As such the addresses disagree (sw1b has 8 more bytes for
> invariants), but the text segment was correct.

You'll have to turn off WITNESS to get it to die in cpu_switch(), but you'll
want to leave the others on for now.

> Without debug, I get the trap 9.  With debug, I get a trap 12
> immediately followed by a panic with mutex shced lock recursion.
>
> I rebuilt the kernel with out the debugging and check the state of
> things.  The code is correct and the esi register had the expected
> value.

Hmmmmmmmm.  Ok, try with debugging minus WITNESS (and you don't want
MUTEX_DEBUG, that slows things down a _lot_).  Then see if %esi is
still 0x100 instead of 0x20.  If so, then check the instructions to make sure
they aren't hosed.

> P.S.  I am hitting the same problem Robert Watson mentioned.  I don't
> have room for three kernels on the machine.

Yes. :(  The default / size for -current is not very good, as development boxes
need more room on / than production boxes.