Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:58:12 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Switching from Linux

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:22:17AM -0800, David Johnson wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> > I would be over the moon if someone who knows a Linux distribution would
> > make a start on this.  Any takers?
>
> I've thought about this, but I don't think I'd be good at it. I use
> FreeBSD as a desktop machine and development platform, but I've never
> use it as a server of any kind. So if I wrote any comparisons between
> FreeBSD and Linux, I would be ignoring its strengths (server), saying
> there's no difference between the two (development), then pointing out
> all the annoying quirks (desktop).

I don't want a comparison between FreeBSD and (a) Linux (distribution).

I want a cheat sheet for Linux users who are thinking of migrating to
FreeBSD, but are concerned that all the Linux knowledge they have is
going to be useless, and that they will need to pore through the
Handbook before they can do anything useful with it.

In some cases, this will just consist of showing different command
lines.  In other cases, it will be links to existing documentation.  For
example.

  Section: Networking.

  Question:  On Redhat, I would run "insert command here" to add another
             IP address to an interface.  How do I do that on FreeBSD?

  Answer:    ifconfig <interface> inet <address> netmask 255.255.255.255
             alias

	     For more details, see the ifconfig(8) man page.

  Question:  What is the FreeBSD equivalent to ipchains?

  Answer:    Either ipfw, or ipfilter, depending on what you want to do.
             Hooks to configure these are in /etc/rc.conf, and
	     /etc/rc.firewall.  Also, see the Firewalls section in the
	     Handbook.

I strongly urge anyone interested in doing real work on this to
subscribe to the freebsd-doc mailing list.