Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 01:22:06 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        dmp@pantherdragon.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd -ss not part of extreme security option?

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 08:38:50PM -0800, dmp@pantherdragon.org wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk> writes:
> > > eh? no security bug is "known" until it's found & exploited. just
> > > because it hasn't been found doesn't mean it doesn't exist. switching
> > > off a network listener for syslog when you are not doing network logging
> > > is much more than a warm fuzzy feeling, it's closing a potential
> > > security hole. i do it on standard installs, let alone "extreme
> > > security".
> >
> > It's not a listener. If you specify -s, the socket is half-closed so
> > you can use it to send log messages to other hosts, but can't receive.
> > If you specify -ss, the socket isn't opened at all so you can neither
> > send nor receive.
>
> Why not add it, though?  Anyone who's going to do remote syslogging
> will know to set the appropriate option.

No they won't. Do you promise to answer all of the people who come to
-questions asking why they can't log to another machine? "I could
always do it before!" You can take over answering all the people
asking why they can't install a new kernel (who's idea was it to have
people set securelevel(8) in sysinstall(8), oops I remember...).

> For everyone else, it's just
> one more thing that doesn't need to be enabled by default.

The only purpose the second '-s' serves is to make the line from
syslogd(8) disappear from netstat(8) output. It has no real security
use.