Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:17:56 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Propagating the nodump flag

"Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org> writes:
> I once [1] merged the NetBSD and FreeBSD versions of dump. The
> patches were not deemed acceptable [2] but David O'Brien said [3]
> he would handle committing the nodump changes within a week. As
> a result I canned the project but the nodump changes never
> actually got comitted for whatever reason.

Well, I suppose now's a good time as any for somebody to change that
:-).  I like the idea of reducing diffs between the BSDs, but it looks
like merging all of NetBSD's changes to dump will require some more
discussion, while this--the nodump propagation--seems to be something
almost everybody agrees on.  Also, my patch isn't terribly long, and
tries to avoid adding unnecessary deltas; just whatever's needed to
properly implement the feature.

I've posted a URL to the patch along with a man page entry that I
forgot to post last time in my reply to Warner.

Regards

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org