Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 02:22:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William E Reid <wer@nomad.eng.cstone.net>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (still) (was: Named Keep crashing)

Well,

	I would like to say a few things.

	I am not a security expert.  I have opinions about how things
should be.  We have updated bind on all our servers.  That is what this
whole discussion was about.

	I do think that one person can only do soo much.  If you walk in
to administer a network you never know what you are going to get.  It took
us a year to clean ours out.  There are many things that can make things
complicated even for a guru genius.

	I do agree ( with Scott? ) that maintaining a couple dozen
machines is not hard.  I am new to all this as well but love it and enjoy
the problems and open discussions.

	I know everyone knows these things but since we are all talking
about it.  Don't run services that are not needed on a given box.  Don't
give your users shell accounts.  If you hear of a complaint of some kid
from your network causing trouble.... call their parents ya-da ya-da...

	Run tripwire and bask in FreeBSD administration ease and
verbosity.

	I feel responsible whenever a user of mine has been caught being
bad.  Educate people.  Educate kids and kiddies and spread the
ethics.  There are four machines that I have ever port scanned.  All were
under my control...

	Lastly don't join too many lists because occasionally a thread
will come along that just takes up a lot of time. (But I enjoyed hearing
everyone thinking out about this one).

That's it.  Nothing mind breaking.... all you guys were just tripping me
out.

-=Bill

"Other Lame Thoughts follow"