Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:08:17 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Jon Molin <jon.molin@resfeber.se>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new drive

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 10:17:24AM +0200, Jon Molin wrote:
> The -I option gives the same output:
> jmo# fdisk -I ad3
> ******* Working on device /dev/ad3 *******
> fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
> jmo# disklabel -B -w -r ad3s1 auto
> disklabel: /dev/ad3s1: Device not configured
>
> /jon

Hrm... I'm sorry then. I have no idea why the Handbook asks you to zero
out the device, it consumes a lot of time and really isn't necessary. I
wonder if that could be the source of your problem.

Why don't you try this: re-zero the device, just to make sure it's
clean, then give fdisk another go. If it fails, re-zero it again, and
try to use Windows fdisk (or even Linux) to partition the drive. If
neither one succeeds, you know the disk got trashed, and your failure is
most likely a coincidence. If one *does* succeed, then save the MBR, put
the disk in your FreeBSD box, and edit the existing MBR with the FreeBSD
fdisk.
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx