Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 10:13:36 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnomeui.so.4 (was: Re: gnome 1.2 & gnomecore 1.4??)

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 03:18:56PM +0200, Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
> When I try and start gnome + sawfish I get the same problem with loadern
> complaining of not finding gnomeui.so.4.

Then something hasn't been updated properly, probably your ports/Mk
directory.  Most shared library revision numbers were forcibly bumped
from .4 to .5 to indicate the change.  In addition, sawfish is part
of the x11/gnome metaport now.. unless you deleted it, it will still
be referring to old libraries.  This is bad.

Ensure that you have revision 1.9 of ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk, look
at the output of "make clean" in x11/gnome, and if you have any
ports installed prior to your GNOME install, delete/rebuild them.

> I then removed the port of gnomelibs from my ports tree, thinking there
> might be a problem with a stale port somehow. After cvsup I have a new
> copy of the port. But the portversion is still 1.2.13.

There's no issue there.  For example, bugbuddy, another part of
GNOME 1.4, is at revision 2.0.1 -- the revision numbers of the
ports that make up GNOME 1.4 do not necessary have 1.4 in them
anywhere.

> So, how should I go about installing gnome 1.4 using the ports, when
> gnomelibs in the ports still seems to be part of 1.2? And does
> 1.4-something contain gnomeui.so.4? gnomelibs 1.2.13 only contains
> gnomeui.so.5

There is only libgnomeui.so.5 (and .so, and .a), installed by
x11/gnomelibs.  All other ports were updated, either automatically
when Mk/bsd.gnome.mk was updated and the use of the USE_GNOME directive
in the Makefile, or other hacks.

The fact that you have ports still looking for .4 indicates that a
full cleanout did not, in fact, occur.  You should be able to fix this
by removing and rebuilding the offending port(s).  Check your
/var/db/pkg directory.. if you have anything like two ports with
different version numbers installed, something bad has happened, and
your system will be in an unknown state.

I am being deadly serious about wiping things clean, either with
a binary install from CD or:

rm -rf /usr/src /usr/obj /usr/ports /usr/X11R6 /usr/local /var/db/pkg

followed by a cvsup and rebuild, ensuring that you either have
ports-all (or ports-base if you're only taking parts of the tree).

The pkg_* tools are still a long way from being able to do an
upgrade of something as complex (in terms of interdependencies) as GNOME.

The use of the Imperial Are-Emm Star is what happens to my devel/build
boxes.  It *guarantees* there's no cruft left around, which what appears
to be happening in your, and several other cases.  It's a good tool
to use every now and then.

Regards,
	-aDe

--