Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 10:41:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@inspiral.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fibre channel & switch fabric

In fact, nearly all of the testing I do is *with* fabric. This has led me to
miss a couple of FC-AL bugs. Oops.

THe 2100 actually can work on any switch that support both public loop &AND&
provide aliasing (Brocades && Ancors do). The 2100 only has hardware to insert
8 bit AL_PAs (the low 8 bits of a D_ID) into frames, but the switches add the
rest.

The QLA2200 is supported (and has full 24 bit D_ID addressing), and that also
is known to work with the above switches and even the McData (which requires
you to do an FC4 login).

The switches must support the SNS subcommand of GET ALL NEXT - that's how the
fabric is probed.

Also, the login policy is in the HBA, not in the upper layers, and is a "First
Come, First Logged into" policy. There's room for 253 devices in the QLogic
2X00. The 2100, or the 2200 in FL-port configuration, can only support fabric
devices from ids 129..255 (the way this works is that the QLogic f/w
automatically logs into local loop members- but fabric devices you have to
explicitly log into), but the 2200, connected as an F-port, can also use up
slots 0..125.

-matt