Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Christoph Splittgerber <cs@sdata.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: indefinite wait buffer ?

:Hallo,
:
:found this in the /var/log/messages:
:iguana /kernel: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #ad/0x20001,
:blkno: 11520, size: 8192
:
:... and I'm trying to find out what might cause an error like this. Is this a
:physically bad block on the swap device? Before I start digging into the
:sources, can somebody point me in the right direction please.
:
:Thanks in advance,
:
:Christoph

    It depends how persistent it is... if the message is being generated
    over and over again (every 20 seconds or so), then it is either a
    hard error on the disk or a bug in the kernel.  If the message appeared
    once it is more likely that your HD was overloading doing something
    else and the pagein's read request could not be handled within 20
    seconds or so, but then recovered.

    You could also check to see if you have any processes stuck in
    the 'swread' state, using 'ps axl'.  If not whatever it was
    recovered.  If so you may have a stuck process looping waiting
    for a pagein from somewhere.

    Any disk error would also be reported in /var/log/messages.  If you
    don't see any disk-specific read errors then the disk is probably
    just fine.

						-Matt