Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 23:44:06 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "kevin godfrey" <kevin@ticktockman.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Actual Microsoft Question (Was: Re: Microsoft Bashers)

What's the most impressive is that most people have pretty much followed the
TCP/IP implementation put forth on BSD.  It's not so much that the IP stack
code has been copied verbatim, but rather that most of the interfaces that the
original BSD code defined have been followed.  Even the poor DOS
implementations have a SERVICES file for example.  Even NetWare does!

With a networking protocol as complicated as TCP/IP, you would think that
everyone would be out attempting to invent a better wheel.  But IP
implementations have pretty much stayed the same across most platforms.
I mean, just look at Telnet for example.  Every Windows version that
came with the Microsoft-supplied IP stack includes the Telnet program.  Yet
there is not a single Microsoft operating system that comes with a Telnet
server, and in fact a Telnet server makes little sense for a Windows OS
anyway.  That ought to be proof enough of the importance even non-UNIX
people put on copying a UNIX implementation of TCP/IP.