Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:24:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Jeff Behl <jeff@expertcity.com>
Cc:        <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ENOBUFS and network performance tuning

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Jeff Behl wrote:

> Any other guidelines to help tune a FreeBSD box for this sort of use
> would be greatly appreciated.  Currently, the only change we make is
> increasing MAXUSERS to 128, though I'm not sure this is the preferred
> approach.

That's the simplest approach, as it bumps up numerous kernel setting.
With 4.4 you can tune it in loader.conf, so changing the setting isn't a
big deal.

You should probably check how many sockets are sticking around in the
TIME_WAIT state and compare it to kern.ipc.maxsockets - that may be the
limit you're hitting first.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack