Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:43:50 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debbuging hard lockups...

Doug Barton <DougB@yahoo-inc.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I can generate hard lockups on my SMP box pretty easily. When locked,
> > it fails to respond to anything - I can't even get into the kernel
> > debugger to fire up. The lockups don't happen on UP machines under the
> > same conditions, so I can't even see if console debugging would work,
> > because I don't have a second SMP machine to run the kernel on.
> >
> > I'm running 4.4-stable, and I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal
> > with this, other than "don't do that". Debugging kernel options, maybe?
>
> 	How much ram do you have, and how long are you waiting? I find that it
> sometimes takes several minutes to dump 256M.

I don't think it's panicing, as I've waited 20 or more minutes at
times for it, hoping it would come back.

If anyone is interested in investigating this, install gkrellm along
with a lot of plugins - the more, the merrier. On an SMP machine, it
usually locks up pretty quickly, usually 10 to 15 minutes, though
sometimes as long as an hour, though more plugins make it happen
faster. But even having a single, simple plugin eventually locks
things up. I've been running a couple of more complex plugins for days
on a UP machine with no problems.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.