Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:50:45 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Thomas Fiebig <tfie@stanley.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Concerning FAQ 19.4.15.5 of Handbook

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:39:09PM +0200, Thomas Fiebig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to that (see subject) question I have another one:
> If my master machine is a Pentium I (586i) and my slave machine is a
> 486i, is this method also possible? My make buildworld on the 486i with
> mounted sources lasts now for about 48 hours! :-(

(Just using paragraph numbers when referring to sections in the handbook or
FAQ is a bad idea since they are sometimes renumbered.)

Yeah, sure that works fine. Just make sure that /etc/make.conf are
identical on both machines, or at least that the slave will not try to
install anything that was not built.

> If this is possible, my future procedure will be:
>
> - 'make buildworld' on the master machine
> - mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj to the slave
> - change to /usr/src on the slave machine
> - 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=MY_KERNEL' if there are changes in the
> kernel

This step can also be done on the master.

> - 'make installkernel KERNCONF=MY_KERNEL' if there are changes in the
> kernel

Possibly a reboot into single user mode here. Usually works fine without.

> - 'make installworld' on the slave machine
>
> Is this right???

Sounds right. Just remember to run mergemaster also to update /etc

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson